Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Unclutter My Life in a Week? Can I Have a Month?

I've made a conscious effort this month to really think about what I'm doing and start establishing new behaviors. Like drinking water. And sending people cards on their birthdays.

Another behavior I'm working on is turning my Blackberry off earlier and reading an actual book before I go to bed instead of browsing through the day's tweets, hearing about the world ending on CNN, or stalking Facebook. The first book I've managed to read this month is Unclutter Your Life in One Week by Erin Doland Rooney, the Editor-in-Chief over at Unclutterer.com. The book is a super easy read and focuses on uncluttering in order to lead the most remarkable life. And for some reason, I love that idea. (Confession: I am not as organized as I would like to be. In college, I lived with numerous piles throughout my room that NEVER went away. And I was okay with it. Not anymore.)

Doland breaks down the book by day and focuses on organizing just a small piece of your home or office throughout the week. One day, you might organize your closet;the next day, you'll organize your kitchen. And throughout the week, you do some maintenance cleaning so you don't spend your entire weekend cleaning your house because you've let it become a disaster area.

Alot of Doland's tips are common sense (make sure there isn't any nastiness growing in your fridge- DUH). But she goes a step further by telling you how to organize tasks so you're not wasting a bunch of time (clean out your fridge before you go grocery shopping by throwing away stuff that is bad, inventorying what you have, and then making a meal plan for the next week).

So, I'm not completely organized, YET. But, I did clean out my linen closet and bathroom vanity over the weekend and I've sorted through my scrapbooking supplies and went through some of my older computer files, arranging them in folders by topic. So that's a start.

Here I come, more remarkable life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Currently, comments are being moderated and will be approved in a timely fashion.