Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Christmas Vacation, Part 1

I had a seriously great Christmas vacation.

My workweek before Christmas was cut short because of the snowstorm that hit the East Coast. DC received enough snow that the Federal Government decided to shut down on Monday, so my office was closed. The night before, I reverted to my 12 year old ways and wore my PJs inside out and flushed ice down the toilet because like any disgruntled employee before the holiday, I love myself a snowday (or 12).

That amount of snow meant that I only had to work one day before Christmas. Which rocked, in case you were wondering. On Christmas Eve Eve, my sister and I Bolt-Bused up to NYC to see "White Christmas" on Broadway. That might not sound like a rocking good time to you, but if I had to be on a bus for 4+ hours with anyone, it would be sister (or George Clooney). And if I was going to spend all that time on the bus, it would have to be for a damn good Broadway show, like White Christmas (crap, I would probably do that to see ANY Broadway show), but whatever.

We took the bus and saw White Christmas and managed to fit in quite a bit of NYC Christmas-ness in a mere 8 hours, including dinner at some place called Fat Annie's Truck Stop (which made me not feel like a tourist because we were surrounded by actual New Yorkers heading to the Rangers game), almost getting trampled in Macy's, seeing the tree in Rockafeller Center, and experiencing the frigid December weather.

All of that meant that my sister and I arrived back in DC at 2am on Christmas Eve for a few hours of shut eye before we hit the trail, with my husband and pup in tow, to head south on 95. This was only the beginning folks. We had several days of driving and Christmas-ing ahead of us. Check in tomorrow to hear about how we handled the holidays while managing to spend time with everyone, and being in two places at once!

2 comments:

  1. How fun! I was not pleased with the snow we got. I like to look at it, not walk or drive in it. :) What is the significance of flushing ice? Never even thought to do that... We tried to get our cat to get in the snow. She didn't appreciate that. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow you are a brave soul getting on a bus in the snow that you guys have had . Yuck !!! I suppose next winter i will be in it too . Im moving from florida to ohio . I love it .

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Currently, comments are being moderated and will be approved in a timely fashion.