Monday, November 2, 2009

American Diabetes Month...and my diabetes

November is American Diabetes Month, as you may have seen in the diabetes-world already. Many organizations are busy arranging events to promote awareness and many diabetes bloggers are jumping at the chance to give back.

Many organizations have rolled out new campaigns. The American Diabetes Association launched their "Stop Diabetes" movement. My favorite piece of the campaign is this PSA. I love the little boxes that pop up with the messages (the one with the mother checking the daughter's blood sugar is especially relevant after the I read about Burger King incident a few weeks ago on Shmae's blog).

I started my American Diabetes Month with a trip to my endo. We discussed how my new exercise routine is affecting my diabetes and how wearing my CGM really helps me to understand how my body reacts to insulin (looks like a sensor is going on tonight!). I'm working to send numbers to the office more often, so I feel accountable and maybe get some of my rates more fine tuned. As I work to improve my diabetes this month, I hope others work to improve their knowledge of both type 1 and type 2 diabetes, realize their risk for type 2 diabetes, and make changes to improve their lives.

1 comment:

Thanks for your comment! Currently, comments are being moderated and will be approved in a timely fashion.