Tuesday, June 2, 2009

La Dolce Vita


This morning has started off kind of rocky (I may or may not have broken into big 'ole alligator tears at my desk). Trying to hold myself together and simply make it to 5pm when I can go home and go on a long walk with Tucker, I thought I would share something big that I did this weekend.

In the past 12 months, honestly, I've pretty much gotten everything that I've ever wanted and done some things I've always wanted to do. Sometimes when I'm in my kitchen or walking my dog, it hits me like a ton of bricks that I have to be one of the luckiest and most blessed people in the entire would. My Nana Hazel says that I'm spoiled, but I feel like alot of the things in my life are things that I've worked hard for. I worked hard to have the relationship I have with my husband and I work hard at doing my best at my job. Overall, I'm really living a very sweet life.

This past weekend, my sister (aside: I am completely obsessed with my little sister. When you spend 3 years throwing a penny into a wishing well at the Great Falls, Montana mall, wishing for a baby sister, you would be as thankful as I am for such an amazing person in your life. Seriously. She's wise beyond her 18 years and I'm not sure you could be more proud of a person, than I am of her) and I decided that we were going to get tattoos. I've always wanted a tattoo but have struggled with what to get (people don't think you're very smart or serious about it when you say you would want a miny Olive Oyl from Popeye on your hip) for several years. Two weeks ago, I decided as a graduation present for my sister, I would pay for us to get tattoos.

You probably are asking "why" and here it is: Everyday, I put something on my body that I don't really have a choice about. (Yes, I could take insulin shots instead of wearing an insulin pump and I could not wear a CGMS, but my control would be awful) And with a tattoo, I got to make the decision. I got to choose what it would look like and what color it would be and the size of it.

We decided against matching ones, because both Beck (that's my sister) and I were attached to different phrases. But we marched in with our family (my mom, husband, and Beck's best friend in tow). Determined to not be a wimp in front of everyone, I went first and then tightly held onto a hand I've been holding onto for the past 18 years as Beck got "Carpe Diem" etched onto her skin.

Me? I got "La Dolce Vita" because at that moment and even right now, when all things are said and done, my life is incredibly sweet.

1 comment:

  1. please post again! i just found your blog a few weeks ago and really enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Currently, comments are being moderated and will be approved in a timely fashion.