Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My Nana Hazel's Curry

I was fortunate enough to eat a lot of great food while we were on vacation in Montana. Between my favorite greasy tacos, chicken from my favorite bar, bbq fixings, and my Nana’s home cooking, we were definitely well fed.

On Monday, Nana Hazel made a delicious curry for dinner, after Ross and my Papa Woody got home from a long day of fishing (fyi, they didn’t catch a thing except for grasshoppers.). The house smelled absolutely wonderful the entire day and I badgered Ross with text messages to see when they would be home so we could eat:

“Am hungry. The house smells great. Hope you haven’t been eaten by a snake. Please come home soon.Kthxbye”

Nana grew up in Southend-on-Sea, England after World War II. She cooks traditional British food like a champ. Her Sunday roast makes tears come to my eyes it’s so good. Her Yorkshire pudding is something that both my mom and I try and replicate and ultimately fail at, every single time. . She makes Toad-in-the-Hole (sausages baked in Yorkshire pudding) and amazing chips (French fries) and a trifle that my mom talks about in complete envy. She doesn’t use a lot of spices, but the food still is rich in flavor and always memorable.

The curry that she makes is ever so easy and something that she learned to make from her brother, my great uncle, Brian. He was known for making this around Christmastime and having friends and family over to share with him.

It reminds me of family.

First, gather a package of stew beef and chop the pieces in smaller pieces (roughly ¾ inch pieces). Slice an onion and two large carrots. On medium high heat and in a large pot, sauté onions in extra virgin olive oil until they are translucent. Add the stew beef, a few (yes, few-she doesn’t measure) tablespoons of curry powder, and some flour. Allow the meat to brown until most of the pink in the meat is gone. Add three to four cups of water and the carrots. Allow the stew to simmer for several hours (the longer it simmers, the more tender the meat will be). Then add a packet of Golden Curry sauce mix (Nana uses medium hot). Stir to desired consistency. Add more sauce mix as necessary and make sure everything is well combined and heated through.

Serve on top of rice and enjoy in the company of those you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Currently, comments are being moderated and will be approved in a timely fashion.