Monday, August 24, 2009

67. Transfer all CDs from my middle school years to iTunes

When I was at my parents' house this past weekend, I made sure to gather a pile of my CDs that date back to when I was in middle and early-high school. My tastes in music wasn't amazing- 98 degrees, the Backstreet Boys, and N*Sync all made their way into my CD player. This was the music that I'd listen to when I slept over at my best-friends houses' or when I was writing in our "notebook" (a series of notes to each other that was written completely in code using secret names that we'd made up). This is the music I would listen on DC's "Hot 5 at 9" before I went to bed and music that my 8th grade homeroom (Mrs. Elk's class) would hum as we caught up on homework and now music that is a part of my iTunes collection. I spent Friday night (yes, I am an ANIMAL!) ripping the CDs and dancing around my den to my boy band tunes.

I got to looking at the music I had in my library and took a musical trip down memory lane. Late in high school, I went through an acoustic guitar phase that seems to have lasted straight into my twenties. Memories of washing the dishes with my mom during my senior year of high school (when I wasn't singing a song from "Into the Woods") are accompanied by "No Such Thing" and "Neon." Freshman year of college included Outkast and Little John hits, Jason Mraz's "Live from Java Joe's", and hits from Maroon 5's "Songs about Jane". My sophomore year began my deep obsession with Marc Broussard and the song "Damn It Feels Good to be a Gansta" from the movie "Office Space" on repeat. My junior year began my iTunes purchasing phase where I'd hear a song and immediately need to have it- alot of one hit wonders ended up in my library and bring me back to dancing around my living room with my roommates and hanging out with the boys that lived across the street from us. My senior year was filled with tunes from a mixed CD I created to put in my car on my trips to DC to visit Ross and my family, "Walk it Out," and the Kenny Chesney album I listened to while laying on the beach in Panama City on Spring Break.

I love music and the memories that certain songs conjure up. When I hear the Manhattan's "Shining Star," I think of my Mom and Dad. When I hear "Yeah!," I think of dancing at parties freshmen year with my best friends. When I hear any song from the "Wicked" soundtrack, I think of my little sister.

Do you have special memories of a particular song? Is that song in your iTunes collection? Do you have a secret boy band obsession? Feel free to share, we won't judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Currently, comments are being moderated and will be approved in a timely fashion.